PROTECT YOURSELF FROM PAYMENT SERVICE SCAMS
Paying a local teen for doing chores around your house or splitting a check from a local restaurant with a friend has become easier using a payment service. Although these transactions are safe because you know the person you are transferring the funds to, fraudsters have figured ways to trick even the smartest consumers out of their funds. It has become increasingly important to protect you information. Here are some tips to protect yourself from scams:
- Only send money to people you know and trust
- Never use a P2P service for a business-related transaction
- When using a payment service, adjust your privacy settings and opt-out of public tracking
- Carefully read the terms and conditions of a P2P service before using.
- Always use two-factor identification and use a PIN when possible. If your app and phone allow, choose fingerprint, or face recognition for added protection.
- Accept any security updates offered by the P2P app you use.
- Check the recipient’s information before completing the transfer.
- Never respond to text, phone calls or emails to unknown parties.
For more information on protecting your information, please click on the Security Center at the bottom of our website’s Home Page.